Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Art attack

I think that Art is one of the most beautiful of human’s creations, an interesting way of expressing things that maybe you can’t say with words. Besides, the language of Art is above the differences that may exist between cultures and aesthetic concepts, it’s a kind of communication that transcends. I’m not very connected with Art, but I enjoy contemplating the enormous quantity and diversity of artistic works. When I was at school we went to many museums, especially those of us in the art elective. What impressed me then were the sculptures, I remember one made of bronze representing a couple, the man was in a position that, according to my teacher, expressed his infidelity with the woman, she instead was completely handed over to him.

About my skills I believe that I can draw very well, especially when I copy something, landscapes, objects and even faces. Anyway I’m very self-demanding so I’ve never thought that I was very gifted. Clearly other colleagues were more talented than me, but I never really cared.

In relation with my opinion about modern art, I think that is a reflection of the cultural changes that our society has lived, as impressionism or renaissance were correlates with its historical context, the modern art inaugurated by the work of Picasso is the same thing with modernity. Because of that I think Picasso was disruptive on what was already known and classified as art, and he invented a new artistic style, cubism, which is now fully valued. Ultimately he was a tremendous artist, and by the way one of my favorites. I also like the work of Gustav Klimt, in fact I have a painting of him in my bedroom.

I would say that modern art is my favorite style of painting, because it’s not governed by rules, and instead experiences the unknown. The rationale of art is that it stir’s people’s mind and creates feelings of awe and bewilderment. For example graffiti, it blends into the landscape of the city, and usually has a social message that makes you think.

No comments: